Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Strange noises on telephone line

klem kedidelhopper wrote:

I have two POTS lines into my home. One is measured service
residential and the other is for my business. The only difference
between the two as far as I can tell is that the telephone company
gets to charge me four times as much for the business line.

This is going to sound really strange. Every so often when I'm on the
phone (either line) with someone I hear these strange noises. The only
way to describe them is: "BOING, BOING, BOING, etc. The onset of these
noise cannot be associated with anything in particular. They seem to
happen randomly and their duration, as well as their amplitude is
random as well. Sometimes they are almost deafening and at other
times they are soft.

Do you have a REALLY old phone exchange for your area? This noise
is typical of Western Electric (AT&T) crossbar switches, which I
haven't heard in decades. But, when switching other lines they did
produce a VERY loud and distinctive bell-like ringing when the
contacts had become dirty. They had to clean them periodically, like
every year or so to eliminate this noise.

The interesting thing is that only I can hear them.

Hmm, that's a little odd, I think the crossbar bongs would be heard
on both ends. The fact you get it on both lines (do you use the same
phone for both lines?) seems to indicate it may not be a phone co.
problem, but in your house wiring or whatever.

Jon