Posted to rec.woodworking
Nick Nick is offline

Default Off Topic: Compressors and Computers

"Lee Michaels" leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net wrote in message
b.com...
I had a computer go down last week. Turns out that the power supply was
clogged with dust and needed to be replaced. It was probably under powered
too, which added to its demise. Talking to some friends, this has happened
to two more people in the last 3 months. All of them multi monitor
machines running some big apps. Regular computers did not seem to suffer
from the same type of problem.

The tech suggested regular cleaning of the interior of the case every two
months. Again, this is probably overkill for most machines, but we have
three examples here of where we probably could have prevented the problems
we had. He suggested a small compressor for this purpose. He had one in
his shop. I have no problem with getting a small compressor to make my
computers happy. It is just that my beloved and other folks working in
the offices would have extreme objections to a noisy, pancake compressor
starting up.

I could probably get by with a can of compressed air. I have a small
vacuum cleaner which will do an OK job cleaning. But I need some
compressed air to get everything really clean. I need something small,
quiet and not scary to tool phobic office workers (or wives). Any
suggestions?

I was thinking of the baby compressors that run artist's air brushes. But
did not think they were powerful enough. Maybe even a fireplace bellows
may work. I looked at a small compressor from Harbor Freight and was
assured that it was very noisy. So that won't work. Maybe I am asking
too much, inexpensive, quiet and effective. Any input from you guys would
be appreciated.

Could you not use a small, noisy compressor after folks have departed for
the day? Or give them a few quid to enjoy an extended lunch on a sunny
afternoon and then do the job whilst they are not present? Hey, take your
time guys. It's a beautiful day, go and enjoy yourselves, I'll look after
the shop whilst your gone. Bit of kudos for you to boot.

When using compressed air it is worth jamming all fans (PSU/CPU/Case etc) as
the high rotational speeds can knacker (sorry, an olde English term) these
fans. I know this to my cost.

HTH

Nick.
England.