Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Washing machine info ...

"Jamie" t wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

N_Cook wrote:

Arfa Daily wrote in message

Anyone know of a free site UK-side, that archives service info for

domestic

appliances ? My Hotpoint WMA64 washing machine has gone belly up
today.

Drum

motor doesn't run on wash, rise or spin. Probably just motor brushes,
but
the motor is right underneath, and I didn't have time to prat about
with

it

today. A basic wiring diagram might be handy, if it turns out to be
not
directly related to the motor itself

Arfa

Beware of jagged metalwork , cover over/ tape down all such with
something,
before working inside it

Oh, those were the one's they laid off. The one's that cleaned up those
issues before assembly. Look at the money they saved!

Not to worry though, I am sure they have it written up some where that
only qualified service centers should work on the appliance, and the
service center has a big disclaimer on the manual indicating to use
gloves while servicing, there by, removing all liability from the maker.

Jamie

As it happens, it is the brushes, and it's not too difficult a job to
replace them. Unfortunately, the place that I used to get such items from
locally, has closed its doors, so I have finished up ordering direct from
the Hotpoint online spares centre.

Arfa

It seems that brushed motors are being used more now, especially in
Europe.

The last unit I had my eyes on was a multispeed, exotic functional
washing machine. It was a variable speed AC motor with no brushes. The
drive control board had half of the output fets shorted in it. He told
me that it was giving them problems in starting and it finally gave up.

So after a bad motor was also found and a bad drive board, it got
tossed.

Jamie

I don't think that in 35 years of owning washing machines, I have ever had
one with anything other than a "universal" (as in field coils and armature
in series) brush-geared motor fitted for drum drive. Mostly the pump motors
are brushless induction motors, and certainly, all of the tumble dryers that
I have owned have had induction motor drive.

Bear in mind that in the UK, unlike in the U.S. , we went straight from
twin-tub machines, with a vertical actuator in a static tub, and a vertical
spin dryer, to front loading 'automatics'. Very considerable oomph is needed
to shift a horizontal rotating drum full of water and washing, and even more
to get it up to 1000 RPM and beyond, for spin drying. I'm not sure that a
compact induction motor would have the power and revs range to be able to do
that. Not so easy to control the rotation direction either for the
anti-tangle reversing washing action. At least I have always assumed that
was the reason that brush-geared motors were used in these machines ??

Arfa