Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.radio.amateur.antenna,sci.electronics.design
AI4QJ AI4QJ is offline

Default Increasing Cable TV signal strength

On Feb 8, 4:36*pm, Fred Bloggs
wrote:
On Feb 8, 2:00*pm, amdx wrote:

Those amps with power inserters, available from Radio Shack for around
$40-50 as I recall, do work well, HOWEVER, I have had 2 of them burn
out on me. They do run rather hot. But when they work, they usually do
the trick. You power it from the TV end and the inline amp has a
blocking cap so you don't put DC on the whole system. Theoreticaslly,
that is what you need. I think you should put one amp every 50 feet
but that may not be possible for you.

Use a 15dB gain drop amp with power inserter, but that's just a guess.
Would help if you actually knew signal levels like what the receiver
requires for optimum reception and what the cable co sources. Putting
the amplifier at source gives you a typical system noise figure of
3dB, but putting it at your end limits your NF to 10dB minimum from
the start.