Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default good Digi-Key transaction

Arfa Daily wrote:

I can do better than that. I ordered from Digi-Key some Panasonic sliders
that were needed for a Peavey mixer amp, and which Peavey UK - or anyone
else in the UK for that matter - didn't have in stock. I placed the order
around lunchtime on the one day, and received a confirming email back within
minutes. I also had to declare the end use, because your government is
paranoid about where the items are going to finish up. After returning this,
within a very short time, I received another mail to say that the goods had
shipped. They arrived on my doormat on the afternoon of the following day.

Those are called 'Slide Pots' or 'Slide Potentiometers' over here.

I guess that when the order was placed, it was early morning stateside, and
I was just lucky in the way that my order caught collections and customs and
flights and clearance into the postal system this end, but never-the-less,
how good a service was that ?

What some people don't realize is just how big some US distributors
are. For instance: MCM took up a large part of an industrial park, back
in the '80s. They have everything optimized for fast order picking, and
empty tractor trailers sitting there waiting for the orders. The picked
orders go directly to the regional hubs for each shipping service, not
the local office. I used to deal with MCM on a weekly basis, when I
lived in the area, about 25 years ago.. Sometimes I needed something
that day, so I would make the 45 minute drive to use 'Will Call'. The
order was always waiting at the front counter, and I would pass 20 to 30
trailers at their docks that were being loaded for UPS & USPS. Another
reason I made that trip about once a month was to dig through the
closeout items, and samples of things that never made their catalog. I
found a lot of interesting & useful items that they felt wouldn't sell
in large enough quantities to be worth their trouble.

Your order was likely at the airport within 45 minutes.