Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CTEK Multi XS 15000 destroyed by Desulphator?

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 12:06:07 -0700 (PDT), joost
wrote:

The desulphator comes from Courtiestown:
http://www.courtiestown.co.uk/batter...ust%202011.pdf

Nice kit. Unless I'm reading the manual incorrectly, it suggests that
it is possible to run a battery charger and this desulfater in
parallel, at the same time.
DO NOT CONNECT THE DESULPHATOR TO THE BATTERY CHARGER
- CONNECT IT TO THE BATTERY & THEN CONNECT THE CHARGER.
MAKE SURE THE BATTERY CHARGER IS UNPLUGGED FROM THE
MAINS SUPPLY BEFORE CONNECTING/ DISCONNECTING.

In my never humble opinion, this is a bad idea, and asking for a
failure. I don't want to think about what high voltage pulses can do
to the attached electronics should the battery discharge and go to
high internal resistance.

The problem that is that the CTEK only stays in desulphation
mode for about 5 seconds.

If repeated at regular intervals, that's allegedly the desireable mode
of operation. Short bursts to break off the lead sulfate
encrustations, and long periods in between bursts for normal
operation.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D