Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

Mark Zacharias wrote:

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking sound.
It
persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight flickering,
and
heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position, by the way.)
Turning
it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume
it's a
side-effect of low voltage.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I have an old original Fluke 87 that did that. It turned out that the
switch rotor had got chipped, allowing the switch to rotate just a bit
past the "Off" position.

Could it be just the function switch is flaky and needs cleaning?

Mark Z.

Don't think so. You can see where the missing chunk allowed the rotor
to go about 60 or 80 mils past the "off" position, and preventing this
fixed the problem.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--