Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Anyone know a DVM exorcist?

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2012 03:15:20 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I was in bed, watching TV, when I noticed an unfamiliar clicking
sound. It persisted, so I leaned over and saw my Fluke 87's backlight
flickering, and heard it clicking. (The knob was in the off position,
by the way.) Turning it on, then off, ended this weird behavior.

My Fluke 77 does that when the 9V battery is not quite totally dead.

The battery enunciator has been coming on lately, so I have to assume
it's a side-effect of low voltage.

Yep. You'll also find that it gives wrong voltage readings with a low
battery. The irritating part is that it will give bogus readings long
before the battery is obviously dead.

doesn't it have a LOW-BATT indicator on the LCD screen?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik