Posted to alt.home.repair
Martin C. Martin C. is offline

Default Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake(just busted)

UPDATE:
Apparently BrassCraft is Cobra.

I called Cobra customer support (800-835-2200) who explained that my
snaking technique was wrong, hence the kinks & broken snake.

Apparently Cobra doesn't sell the snakes directly because their customer
support said that I could pick up the 100-foot length at Lowes hardware
stores:

Lowes P/N 100817, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable
Cobra P/N 90441, 3/8 x 100 feet Slotted End Cable

Cobra confirmed the 75 foot and 100 foot lengths will fit into the BC400
drum, which is apparently called the "40 Series" on the Cobra web site.

Cobra confirmed the technique is this:
1. Feed the snake as far as it will go
2. Then lock the thumbscrew (mine must be broken as there is no plastic)
3. Then put it on forward
4. Then unlock the thumbscrew & feed again & repeat as needed
5. Use reverse only momentarily to back out of tough spots
6. When done, hand feed back into the drum

So, lesson learned!

The reason it kinked, they said, was that I was doing it all wrong.