Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark Zenier Mark Zenier is offline

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:39:40 -0700 (PDT), "larry moe 'n curly"
wrote:

I don't know if it harms ABS, but I've removed adhesive from ABS with
waterless hand cleaner, like Gojo or Goop. It takes a few minutes to
soften the glue.

http://www.imperialsupplies.com/msds0040210.shtml
Mineral Spirits
Propylene Glycol

I've already tried mineral spirits. It didn't work on the rubberish
goo imbedded in the textured surface. However, it can't hurt to try
Goop as I have some handy.

Another cheap household chemical to try: Hand Sanitizer. Basically
ethanol that doesn't evaporate (quickly), but all sorts of ingredients
(Ethanol, Propylene Glycol, Vitamin E). They (Infectiguard brand) say
it's not safe with all plastics.

I had a jam jar come out of the dishwasher the other night with
some old label residue, so I thought I'd double check my assertion
about a soybean oil soak. Overnight, and it didn't touch it. ;-(

Looking around, there was the hand sanitizer dispenser. Sliming up
the affected spot with sanitizer and waiting for a couple of hours,
it cleaned up the residue pretty well.

Chances are, it will still be a war of attrition.

Mark Zenier