Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_3_] ChairMan[_3_] is offline

Default Need advice on how to 'repair' a kinked 75' plumbing snake (just busted)

Martin C. wrote:
Two questions I'd love advice on:
Q1: What am I doing wrong that my plumbing snake kinks all the time?
Q2: How can I repair the one I just broke in half today?

Here's a picture of some of the 75' of snake laid out on the concrete
after cleaning out the drain pipes today:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839276

Here's the kind of kink that I keep getting in the hose when I try to
rewind it back into the container:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839277

Here's where I broke the snake today trying to unkink the kink:
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839281

Is there any way to repair this 75' snake or is it a goner?
PICTU http://picturepush.com/public/7839283

In summary, I'm sure my technique is bad because I keep getting kinks
in the snake ... and ... when I unkink them ... I broke the snake.

Q1: What am I doing wrong?
Q2: How can I repair it?

My experience has been you can't unkink them. They are spring steel. I
just bought a replacement for mine that someone I lent it to got kinks
in.
Get your snake as close to the clean out as possible and feed it
slower. The more snake you have exposed between the clean out and the
base the more likely you are going to get kinks in it
JME