Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Your experience witg function generators

On 03/19/2012 05:17 PM, Antonio I0JX wrote:

does the freq. stability meet the specs?

The HP manual does not tell anything on frequency stability. No useful
info found on the web either.

if so,are the specs good enough for what you want?

Not at all. The instrument is nearly unusable for my purposes.

Frequency measurement results:

- Just turned on. Frequency = 5.000 MHz Delta F = 0
- 15 minutes after. Delta F = -98 kHz
- 30 minutes after. Delta F = - 116 kHz
- 45 minutes after. Delta F = -132 kHz
- 60 minutes after. Delta F = -141 kHz
- 75 minutes after. Delta F = -147 kHz

maybe your potentiometer is dirty or noisy,or some capacitor in the current
source has gone bad.

I lubricated switches and potentiometers. A capacitor may well be, but
it is difficult to locate components on the board.

maybe I'll go look at the schematics and specs,if I can find the manual and
it's not a huge file.

Thanks. Anyway again my question is: is my generator faulty or all
instruments based on the same (analog) frequency generation principle
(charging a capacitor at constant current) behave more or less the same?
-

3% drift is pretty horrible, even for Wun Hung Lo. Something's busted.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs