Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default Your experience witg function generators

"Antonio I0JX" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" ha scritto nel messaggio
4...

"Antonio I0JX" wrote in
:

The frequency stability of my HP3312A function generator is poor, very
annoying for any practical use. I am trying to determine whether that
behavior is fairly normal for function generators, or my particular
unit has got a problem.

What is your experience on function generators frequency stability?

Thanks & 73

Tony
Rome, Italy

it depends on the clock source;
some generators use better,ovenized crystal timebases.
The HP synthesizers had an option for high stability timebases,ISTR.
or you can feed in an external timebase.
At TEK,I used to feed a HP3336 with the output from my WWVB receiver.

Thanks Jim.

the oscillator of my HP function generator utilizes a circuit whereby a
capacitor is charged at constant current, and frequency is adjusted by a
front-panel potentiometer. One may not expect much from that, but frequency
stability is really bad. I should find someone having a generator working
on
the same principle, if not just the same HP model.

Regards.

Tony

my apologies,I had thought that the HP33xx series were all digital
synthesizers.
you're not going to get "good" freq stability from an analog generator.

does the freq. stability meet the specs?
if so,are the specs good enough for what you want?

maybe your potentiometer is dirty or noisy,or some capacitor in the current
source has gone bad.

maybe I'll go look at the schematics and specs,if I can find the manual and
it's not a huge file.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik