Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Antonio I0JX Antonio I0JX is offline

Default Your experience witg function generators

"Jim Yanik" ha scritto nel messaggio
4...

"Antonio I0JX" wrote in
:

The frequency stability of my HP3312A function generator is poor, very
annoying for any practical use. I am trying to determine whether that
behavior is fairly normal for function generators, or my particular
unit has got a problem.

What is your experience on function generators frequency stability?

Thanks & 73

Tony
Rome, Italy

it depends on the clock source;
some generators use better,ovenized crystal timebases.
The HP synthesizers had an option for high stability timebases,ISTR.
or you can feed in an external timebase.
At TEK,I used to feed a HP3336 with the output from my WWVB receiver.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Thanks Jim.

the oscillator of my HP function generator utilizes a circuit whereby a
capacitor is charged at constant current, and frequency is adjusted by a
front-panel potentiometer. One may not expect much from that, but frequency
stability is really bad. I should find someone having a generator working on
the same principle, if not just the same HP model.

Regards.

Tony