Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:47:18 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

How about sandblasting the offending remnants?

That would probably damage the "textured" plastic finish. Sandblasting
soft materials, like plastic, causes the sand to imbed itself into the
material. I learned this the hard way when I tried to sandblast a
brass welding torch. The sand is now a permanent part of the handle.

Could you take it to a commercial blaster? Any of several techniques
might work: bead blasting, bicarbonate blasting, CO2 pellet blasting.
These ought not to leave a residue, and I'd think that bead blasting
could reproduce a consistent surface texture across the exterior.

I could do that, but I would need to blast all the covers in order to
make the surface finish match. There are also some smooth surfaces
involved, which would need to be masked. I don't know the price of
sandblasting, but I suspect it might approach the cost of replacement.

The real problem with things like sandblasting is that they will happily
etch away plastic which is not covered with adhesive or labels, maybe
faster than the sticky goo itself will be removed.

The result is that you get a "3-D" surface, where the places where the
labels used to be stand above the rest of the surface.

Isaac