Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Sometimes, you just gotta get brutal ...

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 15:35:50 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:54:56 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

I used some matt black rubber tubing .about 5mm diameter as a shroud
but as I say the resolution , down to SMD dimensions , seemed to be
no different with or without the tube

Mine has a short metal tube, or more like a cup, that is reflective. It
seems to me that a reflective tube would work better at conducting the IR
from the endpoint.

A reflective tube is better for conducting IR to the sensor. The
problem is that it also picks up plenty of IR from the sides. The
point of the black construction paper tube was to measure only the IR
that goes directly from the hot component to the sensor, not the junk
that comes in from other components. Ideally, that could be done with
a lens that focuses to a point. Lacking one of those, the tube is a
tolerable 2nd best.

Now what do they make lenses out of for that wavelength range?

?-)