Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robert Macy[_2_] Robert Macy[_2_] is offline

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

On Mar 16, 8:41*am, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:41:06 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"

wrote:
After reading this thread, I'm inclined to feel that nothing can be done..
Specifically, the adhesives have so deeply attacked and/or bonded with the
styrene component of the ABS, that Nothing Can Be Done.

Ye of little faith. *I think it's cleanable because I've cleaned
similar sticky rubberish goo from plastic in the past, without much
difficulty. *The difference here is that the plastic surface is
textured, and seems to be trapping the goo. *Cleaning a textured
surface is a problem that I see all too often. *However, my quest for
the ultimate solvent may be futile. *What I probably should be looking
for is a better technique or tools. *I'll be investigating brushes,
rags, microfiber, mild heating, and such today. *I think the various
label remover products are adequate.

You can get a 4M cheap. Mine is 20+ years old and still running fine. It's
not as fast as newer machines, but the quality is impeccable. You should see
the way it prints the eensy-teensy text on Disney discount coupons. And it's
PostScript, which means that finding a usable driver is no problem.

The LJ 4m is ancient. *It's basically a repackaged LaserJet 4. *8ppm
is much too slow for my customers. *The 2300 is 24 ppm and starts
printing about 8 seconds from standby. *The 2300d will print on both
sides of the page at 1200dpi (with the PCL6 driver). *It also does
Postscript 3. *However, these are not why my customers buy my rebuilt
2200 and 2300 series printers. *It's because in standby, they don't
make any fan noise, which means they can be left powered on at home.
If I arrived with an LJ 4m, my typical customer would question my
sanity.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/238800.pdf
Typical cost for a 2300d from eBay is $100. *I replace all the rubber
parts for $15. *A clone 10A 6000 page toner cart is about $25.
Jetdirect network card is $10-$50 depending on type. *128MB additional
RAM for $10. *Total expense is usually about $150. *I usually spend
about an hour cleaning it. *Time to retire the LJ 4m.

--
Jeff Liebermann * *
150 Felker St #D * *http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

stick with the STIFF toothbrushes, they have rounded bristles and
don't seem to scratch much