Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:47:18 -0700, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

How about sandblasting the offending remnants?

That would probably damage the "textured" plastic finish. Sandblasting
soft materials, like plastic, causes the sand to imbed itself into the
material. I learned this the hard way when I tried to sandblast a
brass welding torch. The sand is now a permanent part of the handle.

Could you take it to a commercial blaster? Any of several techniques
might work: bead blasting, bicarbonate blasting, CO2 pellet blasting.
These ought not to leave a residue, and I'd think that bead blasting
could reproduce a consistent surface texture across the exterior.

I could do that, but I would need to blast all the covers in order to
make the surface finish match. There are also some smooth surfaces
involved, which would need to be masked. I don't know the price of
sandblasting, but I suspect it might approach the cost of replacement.

I have a small sandblaster kit and air compressor. I've done plenty
of metal parts, but have never tried plastic. I'll see if I can find
some to sacrifice. Unfortunately, all I have handy is some fairly
coarse hard sand.

what may happen is that the goo may act as a stencil,and you end up etching
all around the goo.

I wonder if you used the mineral spirits or GooGone with a plastic fiber
pad or "pot scrubber" and some elbow grease,if that would take the goo off.

or maybe it has to be "hot tanked"; soaked in a tank of heated
solvent.Maybe the stuff auto shops use to clean auto parts.....

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik