Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 06:41:06 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

After reading this thread, I'm inclined to feel that nothing can be done.
Specifically, the adhesives have so deeply attacked and/or bonded with the
styrene component of the ABS, that Nothing Can Be Done.

Ye of little faith. I think it's cleanable because I've cleaned
similar sticky rubberish goo from plastic in the past, without much
difficulty. The difference here is that the plastic surface is
textured, and seems to be trapping the goo. Cleaning a textured
surface is a problem that I see all too often. However, my quest for
the ultimate solvent may be futile. What I probably should be looking
for is a better technique or tools. I'll be investigating brushes,
rags, microfiber, mild heating, and such today. I think the various
label remover products are adequate.

You can get a 4M cheap. Mine is 20+ years old and still running fine. It's
not as fast as newer machines, but the quality is impeccable. You should see
the way it prints the eensy-teensy text on Disney discount coupons. And it's
PostScript, which means that finding a usable driver is no problem.

The LJ 4m is ancient. It's basically a repackaged LaserJet 4. 8ppm
is much too slow for my customers. The 2300 is 24 ppm and starts
printing about 8 seconds from standby. The 2300d will print on both
sides of the page at 1200dpi (with the PCL6 driver). It also does
Postscript 3. However, these are not why my customers buy my rebuilt
2200 and 2300 series printers. It's because in standby, they don't
make any fan noise, which means they can be left powered on at home.
If I arrived with an LJ 4m, my typical customer would question my
sanity.
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/product_pdfs/238800.pdf
Typical cost for a 2300d from eBay is $100. I replace all the rubber
parts for $15. A clone 10A 6000 page toner cart is about $25.
Jetdirect network card is $10-$50 depending on type. 128MB additional
RAM for $10. Total expense is usually about $150. I usually spend
about an hour cleaning it. Time to retire the LJ 4m.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D