Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default Marshall JCM 2000, DSL of 2003

"N_Cook" wrote in message
I should be able to get back to it in a couple of hours. Only just got
around to building a Dexion support frame so I can toss these sorts of
amps
around with gay abandon, and not risk the bottles.

The valve set that are in here are all 2009 , he took out the new ones and
replaced these used ones. They look brand new except for simple dragon's
teeth marks, ie not repeatedly moved around.
The Russian markings are quite visible and there is no sign of overheating
of the bases , still light brown , and the pcb around looks as new.
But the first thing I will do is check for o/p bias drift, then heating
the
pcb with hot air and a 2Gohm megger and then remove V1 and see if hum
returns then replace and monitor DCs around V1 on heating ,

No mention of that Marshall Forum page about hum but it could be these pcb
problems around V1 the immediate problem

The "Hum" I have associated with the PCB problem is ripple due to the huge
currents the output valves are taking from the PSU.
One pair of valves inevitably draws way more current than the other pair,
which again manifests as a hum. The more current the valves draw, the
hummier it gets, until things start glowing red, then things start to break
and the hum is gone.

Yours may not actually have this PCB problem, but the bodged in grid
stoppers make me suspicious.

Gareth.