Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 21:21:13 -0700, isw wrote:

I've had pretty good success with mineral spirits, but sometimes it
takes a while.

I haven't tried mineral spirits, but I'll give it a try. So far, I
have about 2-3 hours of brute force cleaning. I'm making progress,
but so far, it still looks "dirty".

First, make sure there's not a left-over plastic film on
top of the adhesive -- if there is, the solvent won't do anything.

No film. This is genuine, uncoated, ABS.

Get a folded rag pretty damp with the spirits and drape it over the
printer (you may have to do this one side at the time). As you said,
sometimes the goo just won't dissolve, but it will get soft, so go after
it with a toothbrush (to loosen) and a nearly dry paper towel (to wipe
up); it will load up with goo and need to be replaced fairly often.

Good idea. I've been using paper towels, but I think I can get more
force and deeper into the surface finish with a rag and brush. At
this point, a toothbrush is probably too weak. A laundry brush might
be better.

Also, *carefully applied* heat can do wonders; many of the adhesives
that are rock hard at room temperature soften up nicely after a few
minutes in front of an incandescent bulb in a reflector. If you can do
the heat trick first, it's often possible to pull the stickers off
intact, especially if you peel slooooowly.

I don't want to try heat quite yet. I'm afraid of melting the dirt
into the "textured" surface.

Or, I suppose you could just take it to Earl Scheib 8^}

Too late. They closed up in 2010.
http://www.earlscheib.com

This is more interesting:
http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/
http://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/2009-02-12-de-yellowing%20recipe.htm
I've been experimenting with small plastic parts and getting mixed
results.
--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D