Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default HP Laserjet bumper sticker remover

In article ,
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I bought an HP LaserJet 2300dtn on eBay for much less than usual
price. I soon discovered why it was so cheap. A past owner had
embalmed the printer in layers of bumper stickers, pogs, labels, and
rubber cement. Most of this was removed by the vendor, but I think he
just gave up trying to clean up the printer. Much of the glue and goo
is still attached to the printer, along with some dirt which helps
make the goo more visible.

I've tried alcohol, paint thinner, Goo Gone sticker lifter (citrus
power), Oops! remover, WD-40, ammonia cleaner, and 409. All of these
soften the gum and goo to various degrees, but leave enough imbedded
in the textured plastic surface to make the printer look filthy. I
hesitate to try a stronger chlorinated hydrocarbon solvent for fear of
destroying the ABS plastic.

Can anyone recommend a favorite solvent or cleaner for sticky goo and
gum?

I've had pretty good success with mineral spirits, but sometimes it
takes a while. First, make sure there's not a left-over plastic film on
top of the adhesive -- if there is, the solvent won't do anything.

Get a folded rag pretty damp with the spirits and drape it over the
printer (you may have to do this one side at the time). As you said,
sometimes the goo just won't dissolve, but it will get soft, so go after
it with a toothbrush (to loosen) and a nearly dry paper towel (to wipe
up); it will load up with goo and need to be replaced fairly often.

Also, *carefully applied* heat can do wonders; many of the adhesives
that are rock hard at room temperature soften up nicely after a few
minutes in front of an incandescent bulb in a reflector. If you can do
the heat trick first, it's often possible to pull the stickers off
intact, especially if you peel slooooowly.

Or, I suppose you could just take it to Earl Scheib 8^}

Isaac