Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default OT Is the George Plimpton who posts here an artificial intelligence bot?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:38:38 -0500, Ignoramus32673
wrote:

The Turing Test is defined as to whether a human, talking to a robot
blindly, can tell if this is a robot or a person, correctly.

What the definition somewhat hides is how smart is the human tester
is.

I have an "artificial intelligence talking robot" called Splotchy, on
my website algebra.com.

http://www.algebra.com/cgi-bin/chat.mpl

This robot is dumb as a pile of bricks, has no memory of what was said
in the past, but has a lot of clever grammatical rules how to respond
to typical sentences. Lots of funny stuff, jokes, proper responses to
insults etc are defined.

Anyway, when I look at the chat logs, I see that many people talking
to it are convinced that this is not a robot, but a real person
talking to them, who only pretends to be a robot. They would say
something like "you liar, you are not a robot, you are a real person
and an asshole at that, **** you".

The point is, this robot is quite stupid, but is enough to convince
SOME people that it is not a robot. (to anyone with half a brain, it
is obvious that it is a robot, if not only because the responses
appear a lot faster than a human could type them)

I asked the Robot "who are you" and he replied "I am the greatest
brick-layer in the world". I asked, "how much is one and one", he
replied "it is too much for you".

Strange. It sounds almost exactly like some of the threads on this
site :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.