Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default OT Grumpy old man. Moan mutter grumble ...

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:37:43 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

So do you get the same problems over there now ? Is it similarly illegal
(some states, all states ??) and are you likely to get pulled for it as
you
have dedicated highway police ?

Sure, we have the same problem. It's far from epidemic, but still
irritating when I get blinded by such a vehicle. However, it's NOT
being caused by the mis-installation of the bulbs by doi-it-thyself
mechanics. Most such lamp holders, that I've seen, are fairly fool
proof and immune to misalignment thanks to bayonnet type mounting.
Instead, what I've seen are vehicles that have been in accidents,
where one or both headlights have been misaligned by the collision.
I'm sure the owner knows about the problem, but without major body
work, is unable to fix the problem.

Definitely not a crash damage problem. Far too many of them for that, and my
buddy who works in a garage says that he sees wrongly fitted bulbs all the
time. It's actually not that difficult to get them in wrong when you are
working in a space that just about allows you to get two fingers in. The
metal retaining clip can be hard to get back on under those conditions in
the first place, and it only takes a little more force to get it to clip at
least on one side, over a wrongly fitted bulb. I managed to do it on my
son's car, but realised that I was only able to get one side on easily, and
it didn't 'feel' right. I can see how kids without any experience, would
give up with just one side latched, if the bulb appeared to be holding in
there, and would figure that they must have got it right if it lit up ...

Arfa