Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] PlainBill@yawhoo.com is offline

Default OT Grumpy old man. Moan mutter grumble ...

On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 02:37:43 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Question for our leftpondian cousins. Do you have trouble with DIY fitted
headlamp bulbs over there ?

Back in the day, we had simple bulbs that fitted in a simple holder, that
fitted easily into the readily accessible reflector assembly. Then we went
over to sealed beam units. Remember them ? Very expensive headlight-shaped
bulbs. Still relatively easy to change though, usually fitting into a frame
that carried the alignment screws, so no immediate realignment required.

Now we've gone back to individual bulbs. Except there's now no holder as
such, and the engine compartment is so full that you can barely get to the
back of the reflector bowl. On top of that, they have put alignment tabs on
the bulbs, and that's where the trouble really starts. I am sick to death of
every second car on the road having one headlight pointing into the ditch,
and the other pointing at the moon. Bad enough when they are coming at you
from the other direction, but really annoying when you've got one behind
you. It seems that this is caused by people trying to fit their own
replacement bulbs, and not getting the tab to line up properly with the cut
out in the reflector, making the bulb sit at an angle. They then manage to
force at least one side of the metal clip in, and bodge the cap back on
behind it. Friend of mine that works in a garage says that they see it every
day. Coppers here are not interested in such things any more, even though
having defective lighting on a car is illegal.

So do you get the same problems over there now ? Is it similarly illegal
(some states, all states ??) and are you likely to get pulled for it as you
have dedicated highway police ?

Just interested. Grumpy old man moment over :-)

Arfa

Misaligned headlights are a common problem; enforcement is pretty hit
or miss. My theory is it depends inf the officer is on a quota, gets
points only for 'serious' charges, and got laid the night before.

I've only had to replace one of the new style bulbs (but have replaced
a number of the old style headlights). Since the vehicle in question
has well over 120,000 miles, I'd say that isn't a terribly high
failure rate. I'd say it's almost impossible to insert the bulb
wrong, but it is understood that when something is made foolproof more
persistant fools will come along.

PlainBill