Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_2_] John Grossbohlin[_2_] is offline

Default Trunion help

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Gerald Ross wrote:
ChairMan wrote:
does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this shaft out?
My saw (Rockwell contractor saw) has been very hard to raise the blade,
so breaking it down the reason lies here. It won't move.
I've used some penetrating oil to try to loosen it up, no help so far
take it to a machine shop and have it pressed out?
suggestions?
TIA

Is that a retaining pin in the center, or just a hole where one was?

Disclaimer: I am not a machinist and have never taken a saw apart.. It
that is
a retaining pin it is probably a tapered pin with a smaller hole on the
opposite
side where you can knock it out with a drift punch. If all this is true
and you don't have a flat
ended punch you can use something like a nail after grinding off the sharp
end to make
it flat ended.

If it's similar to this saw
http://d3cmirsdb60x3h.cloudfront.net...34-441.big.pdf it's
a set screw... If the screw was removed I'd check to make sure there isn't a
second set screw below it. I've got double set screws on my Delta DJ-20
where the "top" screw serves as a locking screw for the first... I suppose
that at different times they may have used a pin and if so it's likely a
roll pin which has a hollow center.

If it's not that I'd go with heat, a press, electrolysis or muriatic acid in
that order. I'd be loathe to put too much pressure on it with a big press
for fear of breaking the castings... use good support and moderation.

John