Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Do Magnatrons wear out?

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 13:17:31 -0600, "bw" wrote:

That's life. Replace the old one. You can purchase new Magnetrons.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313

Replacement magnetrons are usually priced between $60 and $120. New,
low end, commodity microwave ovens average about $160. A repair might
be worthwhile if the old oven is in good condition.

What I was doing for a while was salvaging old working microwave ovens
for the electronics and magnetron. The theory was that I might run
into the same model and could use the parts. In about 20 years, I've
replaced exactly one magnetron from my pile, and it blew up in about a
month. I recycled the pile a few years ago and currently use new
parts.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D