Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Robbie Hatley[_2_] Robbie Hatley[_2_] is offline

Default Do Magnatrons wear out?

On 2012-02-21 8:08 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

You can check your microwave oven output with a simple calorimeter.
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech/output.html
http://www.zyra.info/micropwr.htm
http://www.eletrodomesticosforum.com/es/cursos/horno_microondas/Inverter.pdf

There's a simpler way. I've use the following method to test
various microwave ovens:

First clean the microwave. (Food splatters drain power horribly.)
Put a 12oz microwave-safe coffee mug, with 10oz of 72F water in it,
in the microwave. Turn it on, full power, and time how long it takes
for the water to start boiling. In my experience, for "typical"
home microwaves it's about 4min 0sec. Powerful ovens boil water
faster, cheap or damaged ones take longer. Certainly if it takes
more than about 6min, it's either damaged or just crappy quality.

--
Cheers,
Robbie Hatley