Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sometimes, you just gotta get brutal ...

On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:36:14 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I actually have a non-contact IR thermometer, and it's just about OK on
biggish items like chips, but nothing like tight enough on its sensing area,
to be able to detect a gnat's bollock cap getting hot !

I made an attachment that resembles a black (non-reflective) soda
straw, about 8 mm in diameter. It is fitted to the lens on my IR
thermometer with an ugly mess of electrical tape. The idea is for
only the light coming down the soda straw to hit the pyrometer. Works
fine for measuring individual components (although the readings appear
to be lower than expected).

Got $2,000 and up?
http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=44756

I like your "big bang" method of troubleshooting. I've used when
desperate, with variable success. In one case, I destroyed a
transceiver when the PCB traces decided to immitate a fuse. Other
times, it clearly identified a shorted capacitor, by exploding.
Tantalums are rather interesting, producing a bright red glow, and
belching toxic fumes.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#