Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Propane question

Frank wrote:

On 2/18/2012 6:01 PM, Steve B wrote:
I have two propane appliances. One is a Bosch range top, fed from an
outside 114 gal propane tank. The other is a Vermont Castings grill, fed
from a 20# bottle. Both of the tanks are outside.

Just how does propane function with relation to outside temperatures, and
when is it just too cold to grill outside? Temps here during the
questionable episodes were 40-45 deg. F at max coldness, so not down there
around freezing. There was some wind, and in the past that does blow the
flame around a lot.

After a thorough disassembly and cleaning, what can I expect from propane
use outside in 40ish temperatures?

Steve

I see propane boils at -44 deg. F. so temperature is not your problem.

Don't forget that propane functions as a refrigerant and drawing large
amounts of gas from a small tank with cool the contents considerable.
Note how frost forms on the outside of the tank matching the liquid
level inside. The much larger tank feeding the home will chill far less
for a given flow rate, and a kitchen range also requires less flow than
an outdoor grill. Hook the outdoor grill to the big supply tank (or
manifold a couple smaller tanks for the grill) and your problems will
disappear.