Posted to alt.woodworking,free.uk.woodworking,rec.woodworking
DanG[_2_] DanG[_2_] is offline

Default How to repair warped table top?

On 2/17/2012 12:55 AM, Paul Conners wrote:
Planks (a light wood?) that make up the top of a small table are weather
warped. "Cupped" upward.

This isn't meant to be a centerpiece of the home, but it would be nice to
make it presentable again.

What's the usual repair recommended for such a condition?

Tools available: the usual drills and hand tools; table saw; router; belt
sander; palm sander; paint gun and compressor.

Suggestions welcome.

Thanks.

I like to start this type of conversation by saying, "you're not happy
with it the way it is now, are you?" or "it doesn't work now, does it?".
I guess we can't hurt too bad.

I would remove the top. On a nice spring day I would lay it on the
grass with the humped side up. Let it sit there a day preferably with
some sunshine. The piece has probably gotten wet at some point and the
top dried quicker and pulled the warp. I am suggesting you try to
equalize the moisture throughout the piece. I'm thinking you will see
some substantial improvement after a day of absorbing ground moisture on
the shrunken side and air/sun drying on the top side. I would them give
it lots of weight on a flat table surface, not on the concrete patio or
garage floor. After a week, see what you have.

--

Keep the whole world singing . . .
Dan G
remove the seven