Bruce Barnett

Default Pen Turning Initial Shopping List

(Benjamin T. Kindt) writes:

JET 709160 3-Piece Pen Turning Chisel Set, $79.99

Harbor Freight has a 3-piece "mini-size" set (HSS) for $5.99.
I just got the 8-piece full-size set ($29.99), and will post a review later.

There are other sets as well, like these (from Woodcraft's web site
unless otherwwise stated)

Crown Micro Turning Set - 5 pieces for $99
Woodcraft detail set - 6 pieces $69.99
Woodcraft 3-piece Pen Turning set - $39.99
Sorby 3-piece Pen Turning set - $69. (
http://www.houseoftools.com)
Sorby Micro set - 5 pieces $106 (rockler.com)
Woodcraft "Mini" HSS Turning Set - 5 pieces $39.99

Just looking at the price of $80 for 3, the average price is much
higher than all of the above.

Without even seeing the Jet pen turning set, I suspect the other sets
are a better deal, simply because of the price per tool and/or the
reputation of the maker. IMHO.

Can anyone compare these sets for pen turning?