Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default running pex in a basement replumb job

On Feb 2, 1:01*pm, "Ray" wrote:
Hot air produced by a forced air furnace is cooler than hot water so
the "hot air pipes" (hot air ducts), as you call them, won't be a
problem.
If you can touch something comfortably than PEX will be fine.

The furnace flue is an entirely different story.

One of the benefits of PEX is the material is much cheaper *than
copper and *much easier to run & make connections.
I would suggest doing some research on PEX installation, consider
doing a "home run" installation.
Unless you're going to finish the basement ceiling, there is no need
drill through the joists.
If you do drill, keep the hole out of the middle 1/3 of the span &
drill in the middle of the joist depth.
Also stay away from the extreme ends of the joists.

A "main & branch" system is certainly ok but a home run system has
lots of advantages.

check outhttp://www.huduser.org/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf
it should answer all of your questions

also

http://www.energy.ca.gov/title24/200...aking/document...

cheers
Bob

.
Thanks for the information, it is very helpful...
*I considered a home run system, even bought some manifolds
from Home Depot, but couldnt find a logical and accessable place to locate
them.

I am going to finish the ceiling, so I would like to drill the joists,
*but 2 retired plumbers at Home Depot advised agains running the Pex near
the heating ducts
so I thought I would check the concensus here.

Thanks
Ray

Good point.... not having a suitable place for the manifolds does pose
a problem.
My house has a small utility basement for he furnace & water heater.

New homes that use PEX have a place desing & built for the manifolds,
re-pipes are a different story.

In places where the PEX might chafe / be subject to abrasion, I run it
thru a short length of flexible (non metallic) water tight conduit.

cheers
Bob