Posted to sci.electronics.repair,aus.electronics
Sylvia Else[_2_] Sylvia Else[_2_] is offline

Default Grundig Satellit 300

On 7/02/2012 1:02 AM, N_Cook wrote:
Sylvia wrote in message
On 6/02/2012 7:58 PM, N_Cook wrote:
Sylvia wrote in message
After operating OK since the repairs I did after dropping a curtain

pole
on this radio a month or so back, the LCD is playing up.

If I perform an operation that clears the display, and enter an 8

digit,
it looks normal enough. If I enter a second 8 digit, some of the
segments of both digits (the same ones in each case) become fainter. If
I enter a third 8 digit, the segments become fainter still, and so on,
until they're pretty much invisible.

This suggests an issue with one (or more) of the backplanes.

The signals going in look normal enough, and in particular the

backplane
signals don't change as I enter additional digits.

Any thoughts before it ends up on the tip?

Sylvia.

Is there a contrast control that got broken as well?
What other LCD legends etc other than the main 8 digit display ?

Can't see anything that adjusts contrast.

The LCD doesn't have that much other than digits, but those that it has
seem to work normally.

The digits appear thus

XXXXXX
X X
X X
X X
. .
. .
. .
XXXXXX

Where XXX denotes segments that work, and ... denotes segments that don't.

All the digits are failing in the same way, including a small digit that
denotes a channel number.

Since my original posting, I surmised, by cutting tracks, that these
segments share a segment common, as do the top three. So then I
connected them the other way around, with the result that the digits
come out wrong or garbled, but the same three segments misbehaved.

The connection to the LCD is via an eltroconductive rubber strip, which
seems OK. Seems to me that the LCD itself is failing. Seems a strange
failure mode though.

Sylvia.

So probably a crack in the glass at the backplane connections

Not entirely inconsistent with dropping a curtain rail on it, I suppose

and so some
silver loaded paint
perhaps, if lucky and an exposed area.

I can't see any defects.