Posted to sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Yamaha Stagepas 300 failure mode

Gareth Magennis wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Gareth Magennis wrote in message

It seems its a fault of Yamaha supplying 2 "long" leads only. Or this
owner
from new received only 2 "long" leads and no foot long lead. He got a

shop
to make up a foot long lead, and a long-long lead, nothing wrong with

the
job they did, unknowingly bad choice of elbows .

Well it sounds to me that the "shop" actually made a BAD and ignorant

choice
in the components they used, which ultimately cost the customer a lot

of
money.

Doesn't sound like a good job to me at all. Particularly as they no
doubt
charged him for the priveledge.

Cheers,

Gareth.

with seventh sense of hindsight

I would have to disagree.
I have done a lot of professional wiring in my time, and if you absolutely
HAVE to use jacks for a speaker connection (a terrible choice for all

sorts
of reasons) then you make sure the two connectors cannot ever touch each
other, either by using a proper jack plug (Neutrik) or by sleeving the
soldered terminals in such a way that they will always insulate against

the
kind of problems you describe.

The shop it seems chose a crap jack plug and did not sleeve it, and

charged
the customer for this terrible piece of work, which cost him a lot of

money.

I wouldn't be best pleased.

Cheers,

Gareth.

The first time this amp turned up with a blown amp modulle, that was
probably due to non sleeved connector for the "L" channel, I agree there. I
sleeved the elbow and added spiral wrap to the handle to avoid that
happening again. The next time would be due to bad design of elbow, internal
shorting. These look robust jacks from the outside. More robust than those
usual right angle jacks on 100 or 150W combos , very low profile ones. They
can hardly handle 100W from the number of times I've noticed them warming
from compression of the insulation under the rivet-type central connector ,
if not so loose it is intermittant contact.
Any other makes other than Neutrik proven reliable for 150W upwards?