Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Baron[_4_] Baron[_4_] is offline

Default It's been a bad (plumbing) day at the office ... :-(

Arfa Daily Inscribed thus:

Interesting. The consensus at the moment from those good folk over on
UK DIY, is that I still didn't pull it up tight enough. They reckon
that the frictional resistance of 22 mm fittings can be so high that
you can pull them up until they squeak, but in fact you are fighting
this friction in the threads, and although you think that you must
have gotten it tight enough to have seated the olive, you actually
haven't. They say that the solution is to put sealing compound on both
the olive, and the threads, and this will act as a lubricant when
pulling it up, resulting in the force going into making the joint,
rather than just tightening the nut. I have also had the thought of
using a 22 mm tap connector on it. That way you get the seal from a
rubber or fibre washer against the thread end, rather than having to
get a good 'squash' of the olive onto both the pipe, and the seat in
the valve body. What thinks you to this off the wall idea ?

Arfa

I suppose that this could happen ! I've had them leak on me. usually
another quarter or half turn stopped that. I was taught to use soap on
the pipe, olive and threads before assembly and tightening the gland
nut. But I admit that I have heard them squeak, particularly the big
ones.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.