Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default It's been a bad (plumbing) day at the office ... :-(

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:37:55 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

What should happen, is that as you pull up the compression nut, the
conical
seat of the outer ring, presses on the conical taper of the inner part of
the adaptor, crushing it onto the 15 mm pipe. At the same time, the 45 deg
flare a little further in, should be pulling up against the corresponding
seat in the valve body, to form a seal.

I beg to differ. If I'm decoding your posting correctly, you have
both a flared end on a copper pipe, as well as a compression fitting
(ferrule or olive), on the same copper pipe. That's not going to
work. The flare and the ferrule are pulling against each other as you
tighten the nut. My guess(tm) is that you have a valve that will take
EITHER a flare end (which requires a flaring tool), or a compression
fitting, but not both.

Incidentally, I hate plumbing.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Me too. No, I haven't got a flared end on the pipe. Except in automotive
applications i.e. brake and clutch hydraulics lines etc, pipework this side
of the pond does not employ end flaring. Trust me, the fitting is being
assembled correctly, and it is machined surfaces that should be being pulled
up together to form the seal. The one that is not working fully at this
time, is the one between the brass olive, and the seat in the valve body.
The idea is that the brass olive 'distorts' it's form to match the seat at
one end, whilst compressing onto the soft copper pipe at the other. However,
there is a fine line between that distortion being the amount that's
required to get a seal, and distorting the olive or fitting body, to the
point where it will never seal. With smaller 15 mm compression fittings,
this point is easily 'felt' and intuited, but it seems is rather more a case
of experience and big boys' spanners, with the larger 22 mm fittings, with
which I don't have a lot of experience. I have DIY plumbed for more than 40
years, but have only had to do work on 22 mm pipework, a handful of times.

Arfa