Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default It's been a bad (plumbing) day at the office ... :-(

On Sat, 28 Jan 2012 17:37:55 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

What should happen, is that as you pull up the compression nut, the conical
seat of the outer ring, presses on the conical taper of the inner part of
the adaptor, crushing it onto the 15 mm pipe. At the same time, the 45 deg
flare a little further in, should be pulling up against the corresponding
seat in the valve body, to form a seal.

I beg to differ. If I'm decoding your posting correctly, you have
both a flared end on a copper pipe, as well as a compression fitting
(ferrule or olive), on the same copper pipe. That's not going to
work. The flare and the ferrule are pulling against each other as you
tighten the nut. My guess(tm) is that you have a valve that will take
EITHER a flare end (which requires a flaring tool), or a compression
fitting, but not both.

Incidentally, I hate plumbing.

--
Jeff Liebermann