Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Kripton Kripton is offline

Default adapting 12vdc to 9vdc

On 2012-01-27 03:38:55 +0100, "Michael A. Terrell"
said:

Chas wrote:

I plan to use a ''boombox" in my vehicle because the existing sound device
is defective and next to impossible to remove.
My boombox uses 6 AA batteries...would it be safe to just run a plug from
the 12v cig lighter to a power plug on the boombox? I imagine I will need
some sort of voltage reducer. Anyone got any ideas on how one could build
such a reducer. I am fearing such a device may induce noise.
. . . . .I am of an understanding that 1.5v batterys are acutally 1.2v. Is
this correct? If so, I could run the 12v car voltage to 10 AA batterys and
then tap off six batterys....
Else, if the AA's are truly 1.5 volts then run the 12v car power to 8 of the
AA's and tap off 6.
any help would be greatly appreciated.. . . chas

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180763839264 is an adjustble 3A buck
regulator for less than $5. It's a switch mode power supply, so it won't
generate a lot of waste heat.

and more searching on ebay for "LM2596" gives you the same board for
$2.5 shipped ...
and agree it does not generate waste heat !
but they don't seems to search for a smart solution...
--
Kripton

the ESR Repository @ http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html
the Geiger Repository @ http://kripton2035.free.fr/geiger-repositor.html