Posted to sci.electronics.repair
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default Getting started with electronics? :)

On Jan 24, 7:32*am, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Jan 23, 1:39 pm, "Tom Del Rosso" wrote:
spamtrap1888 wrote:

Let people get a good working understanding of things before you
drown them with abstractions. Thank goodness when I first became
interested in electronics, no one sat me down and emphasized the
difference between the abvolt and the statvolt.

I didn't say anything like that at all. I said resistance is
defined in terms of voltage and current, not the other way around,
and if you aren't ready to define voltage then just don't do it.

I don't think you sufficiently understand *voltage. Explain to me the
difference between the abvolt and the statvolt, to prove me wrong.

They're just different units. *Convert by multiplying by a constant. *That's
all. *It's like using the bell instead of the decibel or microns instead of
angstroms. *That's not a big deal.

That's like saying a pound is a unit of mass. Try again.

You don't start by teaching them about the leap second if you want
them to learn about the big hand and the little hand. Similarly they
don't need to know about how the earth wobbles on its access to know
when it's a quarter to five.

Which has nothing to do with avoiding teaching them something that's wrong.

Resistance is not a fundamental quantity. *It's nothing but the ratio of
voltage and current, and only when measured in the absence of other factors
which are fundamental, so it's not something you should refer to when
explaining voltage.

What do you mean by fundamental property? Resistance (more precisely,
resistivity) is a materials property, as is potential difference. If I
make a cell (defining the voltage) and apply it to a hunk of material
(geometry plus a property of the material), that defines the current
that flows through the material.