Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Singer 513 "Stylist" sewing machine

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 14:51:27 -0800 (PST), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

(...)
Now I'm faced with this new repair and re timing issue. Can anyone
please help me first with a source for an "old style" gear
replacement? Also I'm not certain that I can apply the procedure I
presently have for timing the gears on the two horizontal shafts to my
present situation. If anyone could please help me with that as well I
would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Lenny

Mr Kedidelhopper ruined my afternoon with an email requesting my input
on this. Unfortunately, I'm interested as I'm slooooooowly drifting
into the sewing machine repair biz (since computer repair sucks right
now). At this time, I'm into the Learn by Destroying mode.

I found this video showing how to replace the hook drive gears and how
to adjust the timing.
http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/hook-drive-gear-set-singer-103361as.aspx
If you watch the video, it's fairly straight forward, but not simple.
Due to the complexity of disassembly, maintaining the timing is not
going to happen. In addition, both meshing gears should be replaced
as the existing "good" gear is almost certainly worn and will be a
poor fit for the new gear.

When I work on such an older machine, I often find more parts that
could use replacement. There are other pairs of gears in the 513 that
might be worth replacing as preventive maintenance. The parts are
cheap, but the time to tear it apart is not.

Reminder: Use a digital camera to take photos BEFORE you tear it
apart, so that you have a fair chance at putting it back together. I
also make an 8.5x11 print of the guts and place it on a sheet of
styrofoam. As I remove parts and screws, I push them through the
print and into the styrofoam, so that I know exactly where the fit.

Unfortunately methinks there's a problem with the video. The author
ends the video by plastering copious quantities of grease onto the
plastic gears. In my never humble opinion, this is a bad idea. Many
plastic gears will be attacked by the solvents in the grease and
crumble. In particular, nylon gears are easily eaten by grease.

Here's an article that largely substantiates my pontifications:
http://www.theuniversalthreadholder.com/oil_and_grease_lubrication.html
Gears, on the other hand, require grease. Of course,
not just any kind of grease, but sewing machine grease.
Singer offers a very good light grease available in a
small squeeze tube called (what else?) Singer Lubricant.
I highly recommend it. But only for steel gears. Plastic
gears do not, and should not, require lubrication.
Translation: Don't grease the plastic gears, just the metal to metal
gears.

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#