Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] hrhofmann@att.net is offline

Default Singer 513 "Stylist" sewing machine

On Jan 23, 4:51*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:
Our sewing machine broke a needle while my wife was sewing the other
day. Upon investigation I found that the gear at the bottom of *the
bobbin assembly on the vertical shaft had lost some teeth. I tried to
locate a replacement locally however the teeth in my gear are straight
while the new replacements are apparently helical and are sold in
sets. One gear goes on the vertical, (bobbin) shaft and one goes on
the horizontal shaft.

While I realize that it is recommended that both gears be replaced, I
would like to only replace the broken one. I can always replace the
other if the situation should ever arise. The problem is that a new
helical gear for the bobbin vertical shaft *naturally will not mesh
with the existing straight tooth gear on the horizontal shaft.

We have owned this machine since 1975 and it's been a great little
unit. It is built well and I have always kept it lubricated. I have
also repaired it several times as well. There are two other plastic
gears on the horizontal shafts that I have replaced before and those
are fine. At the time I replaced those gears I was given the procedure
for timing the machine by a very helpful singer repairman from out of
state. Without that important piece of information I would never have
been able to complete that repair.

Now I'm faced with this new repair and re timing issue. Can anyone
please help me first with a source for an "old style" gear
replacement? Also I'm not certain that I can apply the procedure I
presently have for timing the gears on the two horizontal shafts to my
present situation. If anyone could please help me with that as well I
would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Lenny

For timing, note how many degrees the handwheel turns between the
needle starting to go back up and when the hook on the bobbin goes
past the needle to catch the thread. If the timing is already shot,
then take a look at another similar sewing machine. On my wife's
machine, the needle has just started to go back up when the pointy end
of the bobbin holder goes past and snags the thread that is sticking
out the side of the neeedle.