Posted to sci.electronics.repair
klem kedidelhopper klem kedidelhopper is offline

Default Singer 513 "Stylist" sewing machine

On Jan 24, 3:37*am, spamtrap1888 wrote:
On Jan 23, 2:51*pm, klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

Our sewing machine broke a needle while my wife was sewing the other
day. Upon investigation I found that the gear at the bottom of *the
bobbin assembly on the vertical shaft had lost some teeth. I tried to
locate a replacement locally however the teeth in my gear are straight
while the new replacements are apparently helical and are sold in
sets. One gear goes on the vertical, (bobbin) shaft and one goes on
the horizontal shaft.

While I realize that it is recommended that both gears be replaced, I
would like to only replace the broken one. I can always replace the
other if the situation should ever arise. The problem is that a new
helical gear for the bobbin vertical shaft *naturally will not mesh
with the existing straight tooth gear on the horizontal shaft.

We have owned this machine since 1975 and it's been a great little
unit. It is built well and I have always kept it lubricated. I have
also repaired it several times as well. There are two other plastic
gears on the horizontal shafts that I have replaced before and those
are fine. At the time I replaced those gears I was given the procedure
for timing the machine by a very helpful singer repairman from out of
state. Without that important piece of information I would never have
been able to complete that repair.

Now I'm faced with this new repair and re timing issue. Can anyone
please help me first with a source for an "old style" gear
replacement? Also I'm not certain that I can apply the procedure I
presently have for timing the gears on the two horizontal shafts to my
present situation. If anyone could please help me with that as well I
would be very grateful. Thanks in advance for any assistance. Lenny

Have you considered the likelihood that the helical gears are a better
solution for your machine, less likely to have teeth break off and
damage needles? The straight gears were cheaper to make, perhaps, but
the cost of replacement parts can justify new tooling. Perhaps the
helical gears make it easier to time, as well.

Rather than try to find some Singer dealers who hang on to their NOS
forever, why not just buy the new pair and mount them? The important
thing when a piece of well used and loved equipment breaks down, is to
get it back working ASAP.

While I would agree with you that helical gears in general are a
better design, I don't think that they would be easier to time. That
part of the job would be a wash. But disturbing the other gear that
meshes with this one creates a second timing problem along with a
great deal more work as well. If this was a customer repair I would
not want to be married to this thing and so I would not do it this
way. If the other gear should ever fail in the future then we'll break
another needle and I'll have to get into this anyway so for the time
being that's why I figured on just doing the one gear. Lenny