Posted to sci.electronics.repair
TonyS[_2_] TonyS[_2_] is offline

Default Getting started with electronics? :)

On 24/01/2012 5:39 AM, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
spamtrap1888 wrote:

Let people get a good working understanding of things before you drown
them with abstractions. Thank goodness when I first became interested
in electronics, no one sat me down and emphasized the difference
between the abvolt and the statvolt.

I didn't say anything like that at all. I said resistance is defined in
terms of voltage and current, not the other way around, and if you aren't
ready to define voltage then just don't do it.

You can omit lots of things without being compelled to teach something that
isn't so, but most "science" teachers think the resistor color code is the
root of everything.

And lots of abstrations are taught to 5-year-olds, like the concept of time.
You don't have to teach them SR. You just teach them how things are
affected by time. But you don't teach them that the clock makes time
happen, do you?

Kids are more capable of learning abstractions than adults. Adults assume
incorrectly that kids need an explanation for abstractions, so they provide
one that is wrong and make learning harder rather than easier.

That's how it's explained:
https://plus.google.com/photos/11044...60195642074977