Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Yahama Stagepas-300

"Arfa Daily"
"Gareth Magennis"

My judgment, in this case, was to go for the ultimate reliability of all
new parts, and I figure the extra few quid on top of the labour and parts
I would have charged for component level repair was in the customer's
best interests.

Plus it would not come back like a boomerang covered in dingo poo,
costing me time and reputation.

Ah, but is a new board *actually* more reliable than an old one properly
repaired ? I've just been having this argument with one of my customers.
Bathtub curves etc would suggest not ... :-)

** If a repairer installs a major PCB then he (or she) becomes responsible
for the whole damn thing.

Not just their repair work and parts used.

Ya gotta be REAL sure there are no inherent issues with the product and the
new and probably expensive PCB is not at all likely to be either DOA or go
faulty on the bench.

I hate buying PCBs for this reason and the same goes for speakers in combo
amps too.

I make the customer buy the damn things and take all risk.

.... Phil