Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian C Adrian C is offline

Default how do you hook up a generator

On 17/01/2012 06:22, furby2009 wrote:
hi,
can anybody explain how i connect a generator to a house.

we have bought a house (in the sticks)that is not connected the the
national grid.power had prev been supplied by a generator that got
nicked we have now bought a replacement generator.not too sure of the
size as it was sold to me as a 13kva (thats whats on the engine)but ive
looked in the cover and the part that connects to the engine says 10kva
which is still big enough for our needs.it has a yanmar 3TNE68 water
cooled diesel generator with 3x240v (blue)outlet sockets
3x110v (yellow)outlet sockets

my problem is how would i connect this to the feed cable for the house.

all the armoured cable is still there (connected to a fuse box in the
house)from the last generator but they took what looks like a
distribution box of the generator shed wall leaving the other end of the
cable hanging loose.

we will be building a new shed to house the generator

i have photos of the generator and the old room if these would help but
i dont know how to post them on this site.

any help would be greatly appreiated

chears rob

Which country is this? There are different electrical standards and
codes about. If I suspect in the UK, suggest a post to uk.d-i-y where a
lot of helpful folks hang out with experience of this sort of thing.

But before you do, try to get a proper usenet client, and away from
diybanter. It's free to join http://www.eternal-september.org/ and easy
to configure thunderbird, Xnews or other choices of newsreader. By
posting from diybanter or google groups you limit the number of helpful
folks who might be able to see your post. Most block on the service name
because of spam.

--
Adrian C