Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker[_6_] Steve Barker[_6_] is offline

Default Oil tank - how low to go

On 1/16/2012 7:15 AM, wrote:
On Jan 15, 5:55 pm, Steve wrote:
On 1/15/2012 4:07 PM, ---MIKE--- wrote:

My furnace service man recommends adding conditioner to prevent sludge
and absorb moisture. This is similar to adding stabil to gasoline.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

well....

1. diesel conditioners don't absorb water
2. where is this "sludge" coming from? If the oil man is not bringing
it, then where would it come from?

Oil tanks slowly accumulate sludge on their own. Algae
growth for example is a well known problem with fuel oil
and diesel. Tanks that sit above ground are more prone
to problems because with wide temp swings you get
condensation and a more hostile environment. Water
brings algae, rust, etc. Over many years you wind up
with sludge in the bottom. Folks who remove tanks
deal with it regularly.

--
Steve Barker

how odd. never happened to ours in almost 50 years of use.

--
Steve Barker