Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Rich Webb Rich Webb is offline

Default OT-ish Anyone had trouble recently with Avast screwing with usenet access ?

On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 16:34:41 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

I really don't understand computers to the necessary depth to say if one
method of fixing this behaviour is preferable to the other. I'm sure Adrian
or Lee or Rich might know. One of you lads care to comment ?

Simplest would probably to just turn off Newsgroup checking in the Mail
Shield | Expert Settings | Main Settings. I can't remember the last time
I saw any malware distributed via Usenet, although I'd guess that the
"special" binary groups may have some infected files and/or trojans.

One thing you may want to try is to load WireShark (nee Etherial) and
examine the dialog when you attempt to connect to the news server. That
can give you some insight as to where the problem may be and what may be
blocking that port.

--
Rich Webb Norfolk, VA