Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default OT-ish Anyone had trouble recently with Avast screwing with usenet access ?

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message
news

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Lee" wrote in message
On 14/01/2012 01:45, Arfa Daily wrote:

So anyone else had any problems ? Any of the computah
deep-understanders
on here, got any idea what exactly Avast is doing to cause this
behaviour, or what has started it ?

Arfa

Firstly, if you are using the same isp as you email address, their news
server (or their implementation of it) is known to be flakey on
occasion so it may just be them and the Avast thing is a coincidence...

Avast used to complain about my ssl connections to Gmail and Eternal
September but since update 6.0.1367 it's been quite happy about them.

I do use both their mail and news servers by default, and yes, I have in
the past had some 'issues', often a weekends, and usually associated
with server maintenance, upgrading, or migration. I have a friend who
works for them, and I can usually find out if anything has gone on when
there's been a problem.

However, in this case, it does not appear to be server / ISP related. I
did suspect that it might be, so I Googled for another free-access news
server, and put that into Xnews. It behaved exactly the same.

Thanks to all so far for the useful and interesting insights.

Arfa

Xnews on my PC has been playing up for a few days (I don't use Avast).

It started with both sliders at the RHS so it only downloaded a couple of
headers, when I moved the start slider to the LHS it took most of the day
only to fail woth out of memory error.

At each try I halved the start slider until it completed getting headers
and displayed ready - the latest article was dated December.

Then I double checked the finish slider was hard to the RHS and set the
start slider just a smidge to its left, with group/findI was then able to
search the most recent file in my downloads folder and resume tagging
from there on.

Late last year there were problems with one or more virus spammers
uploading *HUGE* numbers of rar files all the same size - Xnews couldn't
handle that many headers!

Hmmm. Oddly enough, I've been having that as well with my Xnews. I just
assumed that it was all part and parcel of the original problem, until I
discovered the Avast connection. I just went and tried a couple of groups,
and same thing, except sliders as far apart as they can go. This is a
pretty quick computer, and the 'net connection is 20 meg so it will
download all those headers in a relatively short space of time, but of
course, they go back a long way,

OTOH; Virginmedia have been sending me emails telling me they've upgraded
certain aspects of the broadband without corresponding price increases -
maybe they've quietly increased the retention of their binary servers to
what Xnews can't handle!