Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default OT-ish Anyone had trouble recently with Avast screwing with usenet access ?

Err,,,
I have exactly the same problem. I'm on Windows 7, and using Windows
Live Mail to read usenet, and have Avast.

To be honest, I thought this "many posters just repeating the original
post" was a running gag until I checked this thread on Google Groups, to
find it wasn't at all how my newsreader displays it.

(Hence my feeble attempt here to join in with the running gag that never
was).

I thought it was quite a good gag, actually!

Gareth.

Funnily enough, I did 'get it' and figured that was exactly what you were
doing. You and I must have a very similar sense of humour ... So have you
cleared the problem up ? I've just done the removing of port 119 from the
NNTP checker as advised by Lee above, and that has allowed me to restore
all the mail checking in Avast, whilst leaving usenet alone. I too am
using Windows 7. The thing is, what has triggered this behaviour suddenly
? I am not aware of any recent upgrade to the core of Avast. As far as I
know, it always tells you if there is an update to the program rather than
the definitions, which update automatically. I wonder if they have
piggybacked a core update to a definitions update ? Interestingly, last
week, my workshop machine, which runs W2K Pro and Avast, *did* report an
update to the Avast program core, which I then manually allowed. I assumed
that this was because the update was specifically for machines running 2K,
and was the reason that my W7 machine did not report the same update being
available. I'm beginning to wonder now ...

Arfa

Hi Arfa,

no I haven't cleared the problem up. I had a look at Avast and turned off
the real time mail scanning thing, then thought better of it and turned it
back on again.

To be honest, this is not enough of a problem for me to mess with turning
bits of the antivirus off. I expect eventually some upgrade will sort
things out for me.
I've only come across 2 threads where I noticed this anomaly, funnily
enough, this being one of them!
(Hence my initial belief it was a gag)

Btw, my symptoms are identical to the spoof reply I posted - the first four
(Marks, Rich's, Ron's and Lee's) replies all appear identical to my spoof
one, all others in the thread are normal.

Cheers!

Gareth.